History of Ohio 133

Once known as Bullskin Trace, the section of Ohio 133 between Bethel and Williamsburg follows a path used by Shawnee Indians and General Anthony Wayne and his troops and the Underground Railroad. Here is some history of Ohio 133:
  • Prehistorically, the trace crossed the Ohio River to the salt licks farther south in Kentucky.
  • The Shawnee Indians used the trace to reach sacred hunting grounds and the salt licks.
  • 1793, General Wayne improved the trace so he could fight Indians in northern Ohio.
  • 1807 – 1808, the Ohio Legislature established the road as the Xenia State Road. At that time, $700 was obtained to buy land to create a 20-foot right of way. That 60 foot width remains.
  • War of 1812, the road was improved so supplies could be hauled to Detroit and Sandusky for ships on the Great Lakes.
  • Pre-Civil War period, the road became an avenue for runaway slaves as part of the Underground railroad.
  • 1920’s, the road became part of the State highway system.
  • Today, the two lane road follows the route of the original trace with few minor improvements.

Added to About Tate Township PAGE

%d bloggers like this: